I have such mixed feelings about this time of year. I am surrounded by beauty, yet always have a difficult time saying goodbye to the warmth of spring/summer. Growing up freezing, in damp upstate New York winters, reminds me of the blessing of living at almost 9000 ft. SUN, SUN, SUN, and lusciously dry winters.
During this time of year, the story of Persephone and her journey to the underworld lie just at the surface of my consciousness. Knowing that all seasons bring new awareness and winter is a perfect time for us to go inward, to dance with the shadow. Remember, shadow isn’t necessarily a "bad" thing-as some might lead us to believe. For many of us it is the rich fertile soil that blooms the seeds of creativity.
Things that help me fall into fall:
- Playing in my visual journal
- Putting my garden to bed
- Taking hikes in the changing colors
- Making soups and chili to warm us in the cooler evenings
- Making the most of the sun in the late afternoon
- Yummy books to lose myself in
- Building my tea collection-lots of ginger, licorice and rooibos at the ready
- Recognizing that this is a perfect time to be creative and give myself permission to play in the studio in the early morning light before clients
Contribute: What helps you fall into fall?